Renew your driver license
How to renew your license
- Renew online if you received a letter from the Seattle DMV stating you can renew online or by mail.
- Renew by mail if you received a letter from the Seattle DMV stating you can renew by mail or online. When you mail the Seattle DMV your renewal:
- Be sure to include your payment coupon and a check or money order for the fees
- Please allow 3 weeks to receive your new license.
- Renew in person at a driver licensing office.
- You must pass a vision screening.
- You may be asked to take other examinations, if necessary.
To find out what to do if you are out of state when your license expires, see Renew your driver license while out of state.
Enhanced driver licenses/ID cards (EDL/EIDs)
See Renew your EDL/EID to learn how to renew your enhanced driver license or enhanced ID card.
The fee to renew a driver license is $25. If it is more than 60 days after your license expired, you will also be charged a $10 late fee.
State law requires that your residence address be on the face of your driver license.
Verify your address
When you renew your Washington State driver license, the Seattle DMV will match your residence address with the United States Postal Service (USPS). If your address doesn’t match with USPS, you will be required to provide documents that verify your address before you can renew your license. In many cases, addresses that don’t match with USPS are new construction or in rural areas that don’t receive mail delivery.
Check if you need proof of residence
To find out ahead of time if you will need to bring proof of residence when you visit our office to renew your license, enter your address in the USPS Zip Code Lookup at http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp. If the search results don’t match, or no results are found, you may be required to verify your address when you renew your license.
Frequently asked questions
How can I tell when my license expires?
Typically, your license expires on your birthday 5 years after it was issued. To find out, check your license.
How far in advance can I renew my license?
You can renew a license up to 90 days before it expires. If you are not in Washington when your license expires, see Renew your driver license while out of state.
Do I need to renew my license while I’m serving in the military?
You do not need to renew your driver license during the term of your military service if you are:
- a member of the armed forces or National Guard on active duty.
- a reservist called to duty for 180 days or more.
- the spouse or dependent of an active member of the military.
Your driver license will remain valid as long as you are on duty. For more information, see Military personnel.