Identity crimes or fraud
What to do if...
Your driver license or ID card is misplaced, lost, or stolen
- Immediately get a replacement at your local driver licensing office.
- Unless fraudulent activity is detected within the Department of Licensing (DOL), we won’t place a flag, alert, or comment on your record, nor cancel or void your driver license or ID card.
Someone has been issued a Washington driver license or ID card using your name and date of birth
- File a report with your local law enforcement agency.
- Contact our Driver Special Investigations unit at the location shown below.
- Immediately get a replacement driver license or ID card at your local driver licensing office.
Someone is issued a traffic ticket using your name or information
- File a report with the local law enforcement agency that issued the ticket.
- Contact the appropriate court and request an identification hearing to contest the ticket.
- To protect your driver license privileges, you may also request that a comment be placed on your record at DOL. To request a comment, you must send all of the following to our Drivers Special Investigation unit at the location shown below:
- A written, signed request for a comment to be placed on your record.
- A copy of the police report or incident report stating details of the fraudulent activity and the name of the law enforcement agency.
- A copy of the court document showing the reason for the dismissed ticket (for example; wrong person cited, identity theft victim).
Drivers Special Investigation unit
Drivers Special Investigations (DSI) is responsible for investigating internal and external criminal activity within the Driver Services Division of DOL. We cooperate with law enforcement, government agencies, stakeholders, and customers to minimize the impacts of identity theft, identity fraud, unethical conduct, and other criminal activity.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (360) 902-3915
- Fax: (360) 570-1246
Drivers Special Investigations
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9029
Olympia, WA 98507-9029
Frequently asked questions
Can DOL put a flag, alert, comment, or password on my record?
Unless someone is issued a traffic ticket using your name or information, or fraudulent activity is detected within DOL, no notations will be added to your record.
How do I report suspected fraudulent activity by a DOL employee?
Immediately contact our Drivers Special Investigations unit at the location listed above.
When can I find more information about identity theft?
For more information on identity theft, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).