Choose the type of update you want to make:
After moving, you have 10 days to change your address on your driver license. You can change your address:
Driver License Change of Address
You must report your new address to us within 10 days after moving. If you already have a Washington State driver license or identification card, you may change your address in one of the following ways:
- Complete a change of address form and mail it to any driver licensing office. Your record will be updated electronically, but you won’t receive a new license or identification card. Instead, please write your new address in the blank space on the back of your current license or identification card using permanent ink.
- Bring your current license and your new address to any driver licensing office. Your address information will be updated, and you may receive a new license or identification card for a $10 fee. If you are a registered voter, your voter registration usually will be updated at the same time. However, if you have moved to a different county, you will need to update your voter registration with the Secretary of State's office.
Please fill out the form completely and print it on white paper.
Don’t forget your vehicle registration
You may also need to change your address on your vehicle registration. Updating your address on your driver license does NOT automatically change your address on your vehicle registration.
Back to top
If you have officially changed your name and would like your new name to appear on your driver license, bring proof of identification and the $10 fee to a driver licensing office.
What to bring with you
As proof of identification, you will be required to present a stand-alone document with your new name on it, or one of the following:
- Marriage certificate or license (original, filed copy)
- Court order (filed and certified by the court)
- Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court)
- Original birth certificate. You may use your birth certificate only to correct errors, not to revert back to a previous name.
- Other court or legal actions filed and/or registered with the responsible governmental agency of the recording country, province, state, county, or city
Back to top
If you would like to change the gender designation on your driver license or ID card to accurately reflect your identity, mail a written request to:
Assistant Director for Driver Policy and Programs
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507-9030
The request must include all of the following:
- A letter from you requesting the change in gender designation. The letter must include:
- The name, address, and gender designation shown on your current driver license or ID card.
- The name, address, and gender designation you want on the new driver license or ID card.
- Your current phone number.
- A letter on official letterhead from your licensed medical, osteopathic physician or psychologist stating you have initiated the appropriate clinical treatment.
- A photocopy of your current Washington State driver license or ID card.
- If you want to change your name, you must also include an original or certified copy of your Court Ordered Name Change.
After your request is approved
If we approve your request, we will send you a letter authorizing you to change your gender designation. After you receive this authorization letter, you may visit any driver licensing office to update your records and get a new driver license or ID card. Bring along all of the following:
- The authorization letter we sent you.
- Your current driver license or ID card.
- Cash or check to pay the $10 fee.
Enhanced driver license/ID card (EDL/EID)
See Update your EDL/EID to learn how to change the gender designation on your enhanced driver license or enhanced ID card.