Renew your EDL/EID
You must renew your enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EID) in person at a driver licensing office. You cannot renew by mail or online.
If you have changed your name since you received your current EDL/EID, you must renew in person at one of our EDL/EID office locations.
How to renew your enhanced driver license (EDL)
When you visit the licensing office to renew your EDL, you must:
- Show us your current or expired Washington EDL.
- Pass a vision screening. You may be asked to take other examinations to determine if you can safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Pay the renewal fee. If you renew more than 60 days after your EDL expired, you will be charged an additional late fee.
How to renew your enhanced ID card
When you visit the licensing office to renew your enhanced ID card, you must:
- Show us your current or expired Washington ID card.
- Pay the renewal fee. If you renew more than 60 days after your enhanced ID card expired, you will be changed an additional late fee.
State law requires that your residence address be on the face of your driver license.
Verify your address
When you renew your EDL/EID, we match your residence address with the United States Postal Service (USPS). If your address doesn’t match with USPS, you will be required to provide documents that verify your address before you can renew. In many cases, addresses that don’t match with USPS are new construction or in rural areas that don’t receive mail delivery.
Check if you need proof of residence
To find out ahead of time if you will need to bring proof of residence when you visit our office to renew your license, enter your address in the USPS Zip Code Lookup at http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp. If the search results don’t match, or no results are found, you may be required to verify your address when you renew your license.
Frequently asked questions
How can I tell when my EDL/EID expires?
Typically, your EDL/EID expires on your birthday 5 years after it was issued. To find out, check your license or ID card.
How far in advance can I renew?
You can renew an EDL/EID up to 90 days before it expires.
What if I need to change my name or address?
See Change your name or address for information about what to do to change your name or address on your EDL/EID.