Parental Authorization Affidavit
The Parental Authorization Affidavit is used when a minor (under age 18) applies for a driver license, motorcycle endorsement, identification card, or instruction permit. The form is used to grant parental permission or to establish the identity of the minor.
To grant permission
The affidavit must be signed by the minor’s custodial parent or legal guardian in the presence of a notary public or one of our licensing service representatives.
To use this form to grant permission:
- The adult granting permission takes the form to a notary public or driver licensing office along with his or her own license or identification card.
- The adult granting permission fills out and signs the form in the presence of the notary public or licensing service representative (LSR).
- The notary public or LSR completes the form, signs it, and affixes his or her seal or stamp to the form.
- The minor submits the completed, signed form as part of the application, and establishes identity with other documents.
To establish identity
The affidavit must be signed by a custodial parent or legal guardian in the presence of one of our licensing service representatives.
To use this form to establish identity:
- The custodial parent or legal guardian must take the form to a driver licensing office, along with all the documents required to prove his or her identity and a separate document, such as a birth certificate or school records, to prove his or her relationship to the minor.
- The licensing service representative will complete the form and have the parent or legal guardian sign it.
- The minor must submit the completed, signed form as part of the application. If acceptable evidence of relationship is shown, the minor won’t be required to show other documents to establish identity.
Please fill out the form completely and print it on white paper.